Recent Mozilla/DRM threads - 7 false assumptions posters are having
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 19:35:33 UTC
I think many of the posters in the recent Mozilla/DRM threads have made
the following false assumptions:

1. Everyone watches only mainstream television and MPAA movies.

2. Everyone buys, rents, listens to, or watches only content with
connections to the MAFIAA.

3. Nobody watches independent films or YouTube documentaries.

4. Nobody reads, listens to, or watches independent news.

5. Nobody reads, listens to, or watches material which is not reported by
mainstream news (Wikileaks, violence toward humans and animals at Bundy
Ranch, cell phone jamming at BART during sexual abuse lawsuit, NSA &
Snowden, etc)

6. If #4 and #5 are not true, they should be true, and people should be
forced to read/listen/watch only mainstream news, whether through DRM or
other means.

7. DRM can somehow be "open" despite it being a criminal offense to
discover, investigate, or examine the source code, encryption, or other
form of trade secret.
--
bleak_fire_

fka "azz" et al since nine-seven
Silver Slimer
2014-05-15 22:37:19 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
I see that you and I have a lot in common. Check out my website, I have
posted a crapload of links to articles talking about government spying
in particular but I would love to have someone post articles relating to
DRM issues.
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
Chris Ahlstrom
2014-05-15 23:53:46 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
I didn't see all of that, because most of the fellows stating such stuff are
reprehensible or repulsive, based on other topics. So I'll take your word
for it.

In my case, I don't really care much about having the latest music, so I
listen to it via streaming radio from sites like sky.fm or somafm.com. Also
now listen to some playlists from YouTube. If I can't listen to something
because of "DRM", well, that's just too bad, they won't (in general) get my
ears or my business.

Other than that, I pay a buttload a month for DirecTV so I can watch
international soccer. That, I can do while poking around on my laptop.

Movies? I don't have the attention span for most movies anymore.

While I believe an artist's work should be monetized for a reasonable period
of time (a few years at most), the present copyright regime is completely
out of control. What is it now, life plus 20 years in the U.S?

Some courts are even support copyrights for *APIs* (application programming
interfaces).
--
Stone's Law:
One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"
Silver Slimer
2014-05-16 00:06:58 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
That's a good position to take to be honest. If they insist on betraying
us with DRM, we'll insist on ignoring their products. If, however, we
are very attached to the musician in question, it IS sometimes possible
to buy music from them directly off of their website, completely
eliminating the middleman which is often responsible for the DRM in the
first place. The artists themselves tend to be somewhat more respectful
of their fans and don't bundle such garbage.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Other than that, I pay a buttload a month for DirecTV so I can watch
international soccer. That, I can do while poking around on my laptop.
Same here. I'm mostly a fan of the MLS but I seldom watch the BPL to
watch Arsenal and Southampton in action (a very Polish team in Arsenal
and a Polish goalie in Southampton). I'm looking to the Champion's
League final and hoping to see Atletico take it. I love the underdogs.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Movies? I don't have the attention span for most movies anymore.
I tend to watch TV shows more than movies. I absolutely love Game of
Thrones and Breaking Bad but also adored Spartacus and was disappointed
to see it end (even though I knew it would because I know the real
Spartacus' history quite well). Arrow's pretty good as well as is Turn.
If I watch movies, it's on Friday with my wife and we tend to ignore
American comedies because they're ridiculously awful most of the time.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
While I believe an artist's work should be monetized for a reasonable period
of time (a few years at most), the present copyright regime is completely
out of control. What is it now, life plus 20 years in the U.S?
It used to be fifty years as far as I know but I know that the length
recently increased around the same time as the appearance of the Beatles
"unreleased songs" album. Essentially, the Beatles material from before
they struck gold should have been released and made available for free
but obviously, the music industry needs to suck every last dollar out of us.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Some courts are even support copyrights for *APIs* (application programming
interfaces).
Hence why supporting RMS and his mission becomes important. He has very
reasonable solutions to the problems the world is facing in respect to
patents and copyright. He sounds like a fruit at first simply because
we're so used to things being the way they are but when you really
consider what he's proposing, he's not crazy at all.
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
bleak_fire_
2014-05-16 00:29:24 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 20:06:58 -0400, Silver Slimer leapt
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Some courts are even support copyrights for *APIs* (application
programming interfaces).
Hence why supporting RMS and his mission becomes important. He has very
reasonable solutions to the problems the world is facing in respect to
patents and copyright. He sounds like a fruit at first simply because
we're so used to things being the way they are but when you really
consider what he's proposing, he's not crazy at all.
I read that about APIs, I can't understand how that would work. Is every
programming language other than C outlawed?

Chris Ahlstrom
2014-05-16 11:38:45 UTC
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Some courts are even support copyrights for *APIs* (application
programming interfaces).
Hence why supporting RMS and his mission becomes important. He has very
reasonable solutions to the problems the world is facing in respect to
patents and copyright. He sounds like a fruit at first simply because
we're so used to things being the way they are but when you really
consider what he's proposing, he's not crazy at all.
I read that about APIs, I can't understand how that would work. Is every
programming language other than C outlawed?
No.

Just any language "owned" by a wealthy bellicose company like Oracle.

Why didn't the court take a gander at this?

http://openjdk.java.net/

Download and install the open-source JDK 7 for most popular Linux
distributions. If you came here looking for Oracle JDK 7 product binaries
for Solaris, Linux, Mac OS X or Windows, which are based largely on the
same code, you can download them from java.oracle.com.
--
Mankind's yearning to engage in sports is older than recorded history,
dating back to the time millions of years ago, when the first primitive man

What inner force drove this first athlete? Your guess is as good as
mine. Better, probably, because you haven't had four beers.
-- Dave Barry, "Sports is a Drag"
bleak_fire_
2014-05-16 00:27:01 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 19:53:46 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom leapt
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
While I believe an artist's work should be monetized for a reasonable
period of time (a few years at most), the present copyright regime is
completely out of control. What is it now, life plus 20 years in the
U.S?
Life+70 for individuals, Publication+95 for businesses

Chris Ahlstrom
2014-05-16 11:35:42 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
While I believe an artist's work should be monetized for a reasonable
period of time (a few years at most), the present copyright regime is
completely out of control. What is it now, life plus 20 years in the
U.S?
Life+70 for individuals, Publication+95 for businesses
Well, at least we're now forced to be so creative that we can avoid any
possibility of being sued <rolls eyes>.
--
Men say of women what pleases them; women do with men what pleases them.
-- DeSegur
Snit
2014-05-16 00:51:37 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
I think many of the posters in the recent Mozilla/DRM threads have made
1. Everyone watches only mainstream television and MPAA movies.
2. Everyone buys, rents, listens to, or watches only content with
connections to the MAFIAA.
3. Nobody watches independent films or YouTube documentaries.
4. Nobody reads, listens to, or watches independent news.
5. Nobody reads, listens to, or watches material which is not reported by
mainstream news (Wikileaks, violence toward humans and animals at Bundy
Ranch, cell phone jamming at BART during sexual abuse lawsuit, NSA &
Snowden, etc)
6. If #4 and #5 are not true, they should be true, and people should be
forced to read/listen/watch only mainstream news, whether through DRM or
other means.
Who has made these assumptions?
Post by bleak_fire_
7. DRM can somehow be "open" despite it being a criminal offense to
discover, investigate, or examine the source code, encryption, or other
form of trade secret.
There are open source DRM solutions.
--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: