Menu item - in claim language
w***@aol.com
2010-07-10 13:30:37 UTC
In a claim for a graphical user interface, is the term "conventional
menu item" well established enough to automatically bear the
definition "a visually and substantially labeled activation region in
a graphical user interface associated with a function which is
executed upon selection of said activation region"?

Thank you in advance ...
Regis
2010-07-12 05:35:01 UTC
Post by w***@aol.com
In a claim for a graphical user interface, is the term "conventional
menu item" well established enough to automatically bear the
definition "a visually and substantially labeled activation region in
a graphical user interface associated with a function which is
executed upon selection of said activation region"?
Thank you in advance ...
In "conventional", which convention (or standard) is referred to ?
What does "substantially" labelled mean ?

To me, an icon is "a visually and sometimes labelled activation region
in
a graphical user interface associated with a function which is
executed upon selection of said activation region" without being a
menu item.
w***@aol.com
2010-07-12 14:31:27 UTC
Post by Regis
In "conventional", which convention (or standard) is referred to ?
What does "substantially" labeled mean ?
To me, an icon is "a visually and sometimes labeled activation region
in
 a graphical user interface associated with a function which is
 executed upon selection of said activation region" without being a
menu item.
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant to refer to the commonly used
GUI, like Windows, by the term "conventional," and an adequately large
label identifiable by one's naked eyes under normal circumstances by
"substantially labeled". What might be a better way to put it?
Regis
2010-07-13 11:33:12 UTC
That's what I wanted to point out: lack of clarity = Art.6 PCT or Art.
84 EPC objection at the EPO...

If you intend terms to be interpreted like they should be by a person
skilled in the art, keep it simple:
a menu item
or if you want to mean "labelled activation region in a graphical user
interface associated with a function which is executed upon selection
of said activation region", say it !

but a menu item this will not be equated to "labelled activation
region in a graphical user interface associated with a function which
is executed upon selection of said activation region"

Because as I wrote, a menu item is a subdivision of such regions,
icons, buttons being others (they are not always part of a menu).
You may also have a menu with only icons (like in a toolbar) and no
label...

:)
w***@aol.com
2010-07-13 13:54:50 UTC
Post by Regis
That's what I wanted to point out: lack of clarity = Art.6 PCT or Art.
84 EPC objection at the EPO...
If you intend terms to be interpreted like they should be by a person
a menu item
or if you want to mean "labelled activation region in a graphical user
interface associated with a function which is executed upon selection
of said activation region", say it !
but a menu item this will not be equated to  "labelled activation
region in a graphical user interface associated with a function which
is executed upon selection of said activation region"
Because as I wrote, a menu item is a subdivision of such regions,
icons, buttons being others (they are not always part of a menu).
You may also have a menu with only icons (like in a toolbar) and no
label...
:)
Thank you very much Regis ...