Salary for a patent examiner at the European Patent Office (EPO)
Antoine Delacroix
2004-11-26 16:51:46 UTC

EPO claims to recruit many patent examiners. It is often stated on
the recruitment website that the salary is "attractive", "competitive", at
a "similar level to those of other international organisations". This is
all very vague...

Some "other international organisations" propose only voluntary work. Some
others offer good salaries. To which group belongs the EPO? Are the salary
competitive from a the romanian candidate's point of view or from the
british one's?

Thanks in advance,

Antoine
Alun
2004-11-26 18:37:57 UTC
Post by Antoine Delacroix
Hi,
EPO claims to recruit many patent examiners. It is often stated on
the recruitment website that the salary is "attractive", "competitive",
at a "similar level to those of other international organisations".
This is all very vague...
Some "other international organisations" propose only voluntary work.
Some others offer good salaries. To which group belongs the EPO? Are
the salary competitive from a the romanian candidate's point of view or
from the british one's?
Thanks in advance,
Antoine
IME, the EPO pays much higher than the UK Patent Office. I would say they
were more than competetive.
Regis
2004-11-29 15:26:32 UTC
Post by Alun
Post by Antoine Delacroix
Hi,
EPO claims to recruit many patent examiners. It is often stated on
the recruitment website that the salary is "attractive", "competitive",
at a "similar level to those of other international organisations".
This is all very vague...
Some "other international organisations" propose only voluntary work.
Some others offer good salaries. To which group belongs the EPO? Are
the salary competitive from a the romanian candidate's point of view or
from the british one's?
Thanks in advance,
Antoine
IME, the EPO pays much higher than the UK Patent Office. I would say they
were more than competetive.
The salaries are more than competitive: a beginner will make around
3k€ net per month (all taxes already taken). You also get 6 weeks
holidays + public holidays and more if you are an expatriate. You work
40 hours/week, and have to be gratuated (MsC+, or BsC if you come from
the UK)) and know English, German and French (at least be comfortable
in two of them).
If you are really interested in joining the EPO, then send me an email
;-)
f***@gmail.com
2014-07-05 14:04:31 UTC
Just a little question please,
I read that You are talking about the EPO and the opportunity to work with them. Is it real that the medium salary is that good?
In addition how is possible to really talk to someone working already at the EPO???????
IF it is possible of course.
I would really like to be able to talk with a member of the EPO.

Thanks,
wurzel
2004-11-30 08:23:28 UTC
Post by Antoine Delacroix
Hi,
EPO claims to recruit many patent examiners. It is often stated on
the recruitment website that the salary is "attractive", "competitive", at
a "similar level to those of other international organisations". This is
all very vague...
It is vague because the EPO management does not wish to publish its salary
scale. WIPO, for example, used to publish the grade and salary range of
the job offers it had going (I don't know whether that is still the case).
I suspect that the reason initially was political, because the national
offices may have feared (generally unfoundedly) that they would lose
valuable staff. Why the EPO today still does not make public its salary
scale is beyond me. If you go to the EPO library and see the job
announcements there you will be informed of the grade at which the post is
offered, e.g. A6 for a member of the Board of Appeal, A5 for a Director's
Post. Examiner's grades range from A1 to A4, and the pay scale is indexed
to the grade system. The grade you obtain upon entry is dependent on your
prior experience, but prior law experience working as an attorney is only
counted at "half-value", i.e. the EPO will only take into account half of
the time you spent in the law firm as experience when assessing your
starting grade. Bear in mind that this policy may have changed.

As for salaries in general, yes they are good, even compared to the UK,
Germany or France. They are in addition essentially tax free, because an
internal tax is levvied by the by the EPO on your salary, such that you
don't essentially have to worry about income tax. The pay cited by Regis
is less than what I started on at the EPO with no prior experience, i.e.
straight out of university, so I can only assume that pay has been reduced
slightly since then, or that the pay scale has been revised. However, you
also get extra pay for your marital state, or depending on the number of
children you have, or whether they need special care. As Regis also
mentioned, you get paid home leave every 2 years (10 days, plus
travelling time to your place of original residence if in one of the
contracting states), and if memory serves me well, a part of the
travel cost for the home leave is also paid for by the EPO.

In all, the package is very comprehensive. To give you an example, when I
left the EPO to work in France, I took a 30% drop in salary, and on top of
that had to pay income tax, so from a financial viewpoint it was quite
important, but there were other motivations involved than just salary. I'm
still earning less today than most of my friends still at the EPO, but
that doesn't bother me, and I certainly don't regret having worked there,
but I probably wouldn't go back again. Apart from living and working in a
country which isn't your "own", so to speak (not that it bothers me, I'm
English and working in France), there is the spousal unit and possibly
children (if you have any) to consider. Integration into society is not
necessarily very easy for the other partner, especially when that person
doesn't speak the local language, and peer pressure and the social
structure (e.g. absence of full day child care, early schooling, etc), in
some of the countries where the EPO has an office represent an additional
difficulty for spouses to find work. I know many spouses of EPO
employees who are unhappy with their life, but many will stay for the
monetary aspect. As they say, "Money can't buy happiness. Basically, you
have to consider all the pros and cons. A lot of single people I knew from
the EPO have mostly married other people from the EPO, which I suppose is
statistically fairly obvious given the population and the environment.

wurzel
Regis
2004-12-01 09:41:22 UTC
Hi there !

The salary indication (>3000€ net / month: taxes, health insurance and
pension scheme paid) is a lowest estimation: non expatriate, no
experience examiner. An expatriate gets an extra 16% on his salary. He
will also have every other year a home leave allowance depending on
the distance from "home" (9 to 11 days holidays + AR flight ticket for
the family), and will receive an installation allowance (1 month
salary) the very first day when starting, the removal+travel being
also paid.
Salaries are also somewhat indexed on the inflation, meaning you
cannot loose purchasing power (that's why giving an exact figure now
is useless, you should get more when actually joining). You also get
family allowances when having chidren, the EPO also paying part of
creche/school costs...

To summarize, money is not a real concern when joining the EPO...

About the calculation of your experience when starting at the EPO.
This is not so simple. Roughly, studies after MsC are taken at 50%,
PhD at 75%, working experience at 75%, military service at 75%, work
related to patent at 100% (i.a. if you worked in a national patent
office).

Nevertheless, it is true that living as an expatriate has some
drawbacks (different culture, far from friends and family), which
could be a little more sensitive in the Netherlands since you should
there speak Dutch, a fourth language to be added to the official
English, German and French requested by the EPO. However (as I live
there), Dutch people are just excellent in English, very good in
German, and you also find a lot of them knowing some French (preferred
holidays location...). So you can live in TH without learning Dutch at
all: it's an international city with a British school, American
school, Deutsche Schule, Lycée Français... All the embassies are here,
+ lot of people working for ESTEC (ESA), Europol, Tribunal
International, OPCW, Shell headquarters, Unilever headquarters... And
in fact, if you know German, learning Dutch is easy.

Both in the Netherlands and Germany, the EPO has a social department
helping for your everyday life problems (housing, schools for
children, language courses for partners, etc.).
About leisure time, the "Amicale" offers a lot (in house sport
facilities in TH, soon to be built in MU), arranging parties, cultural
exhibitions, sport events with other international agencies, etc.
The rumor says that 30% of singles find a partner within the EPO in 2
years time. Well, I'm in these 30% ;-) Come on, you work with highly
educated people from 30 different countries, about the same age and
expatriate like you.
So, of course, you are still an expatriate, but everything is made to
make you feel comfortable. And it is true that money is not everything
(what about job satisfaction, security of employment, stress level,
career opportunities, etc.?), but it can help.
i***@gmail.com
2018-06-19 07:38:02 UTC
Post by Regis
[...]
Dear Regis!
Are you still working for the EPO? I would like to ask some questions :)!
Regards,
Inge

Interested_candidate
2015-10-13 21:34:54 UTC
Post by Antoine Delacroix
Hi,
EPO claims to recruit many patent examiners. It is often stated on
the recruitment website that the salary is "attractive", "competitive", at
a "similar level to those of other international organisations". This is
all very vague...
Some "other international organisations" propose only voluntary work. Some
others offer good salaries. To which group belongs the EPO? Are the salary
competitive from a the romanian candidate's point of view or from the
british one's?
Thanks in advance,
Antoine
Hi,

I also have a question. In case you get a position at EPO and decide after some time (2 years or more) the job is not for you - it can happen -, what are the career opportunities afterwards? I assume you cannot go back to the lab to be a researcher anymore, right?

Thanks!
Dani