Carlo Daffara vs. RMS
Alexander Terekhov
2011-09-22 16:47:39 UTC
RMS's amusing article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/19/android-free-software-stallman?CMP=twt_gu
("Is Android really free software?")

Carlo Daffara's response:

http://carlodaffara.conecta.it/android-free-non-free-and-generic-fud/
("Android free, non-free, and generic FUD")

"[RMS's] Article summary: “Android is non-free” (actually Linux is, but
I can’t say it), “is driven by greedy gollums” (maybe), “Android phones
may spy on you” (like all modern phones), “it may be destroyed by
patents” (like Linux), and in general if you switch to the GPL3 we
forgive you.

Look: there are many negative points in Android, like the fact that
having it as a separately managed project under an Eclipse-like
consortium would be much better (I wrote my thoughts on it here) or that
the fact that the Honeycomb code is still not released, or that
governance is centrally hold by Google. This is however not a good
reason for using Android as a scapegoat, only because it is widely used
and successful. This is FUD – and it only helps those that despise free
software.

(Disclaimer: I don’t care what Google thinks, I don’t have an interest
in Google financial performance, my only point of contact is in having
an Android phone and a passion for free/open/libre source)."

--
http://web.archive.org/web/20090626051346/http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)
RJack
2011-09-23 15:07:30 UTC
Post by Alexander Terekhov
[...]
Post by Alexander Terekhov
be infinitely looped as GNGNGNGNG...NGNGNG... and can be said
backwards too, whereas GNU cannot.)
Both Carlo Daffra and RMS are pissing at each other in the less than
clear context of the laws of the European Union. Under the context of
U.S. Intellectual Property law, both are hopelessly lost.

Sincerely,
RJack :)