More Mozilla Bendovers - This Time, It's The Hollywood Mafia
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 03:18:35 UTC
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/driven-by-necessity-
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/

"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5 digital
rights management specification called Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).

The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed source
Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."

Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch from
their browsers.
--
bleak_fire_

fka "azz" et al since nine-seven
Snit
2014-05-15 03:28:35 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/driven-by-necessity-
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5 digital
rights management specification called Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed source
Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch from
their browsers.
How do you think DRM should be handled? Flash?
--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu:

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

* Mint KDE working with folders:

* Mint KDE creating files:

* Mint KDE help:

* Mint KDE general navigation:

* Mint / LibreOffice:

* Win 8 / Word 2013:

* Mavericks / Pages 5.1:

bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 03:45:20 UTC
on the great fire of Wed, 14 May 2014 20:28:35 -0700, Snit leapt from the
Post by bleak_fire_
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5
digital rights management specification called Encrypted Media
Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed
source Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch
from their browsers.
How do you think DRM should be handled? Flash?
If you want to infect yourself with DRM or other Potentially Unwanted
Programs, install it yourself. Don't put a kill switch into every Web
site around the world.

Snit
2014-05-15 03:54:38 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Same with images and videos then, too, I suppose - no more browsers handling
that?
--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mavericks / Pages 5.1: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 04:34:20 UTC
on the great fire of Wed, 14 May 2014 20:54:38 -0700, Snit leapt from the
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse issues if
you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in every picture
and video.

Snit
2014-05-15 04:41:57 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
If you want to infect yourself with DRM or other Potentially Unwanted
Programs, install it yourself. Don't put a kill switch into every Web
site around the world.
Same with images and videos then, too, I suppose - no more browsers
handling that?
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse issues if
you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in every picture
and video.
What is your better solution? Flash? What? I am open to listening.
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 04:46:33 UTC
on the great fire of Wed, 14 May 2014 21:41:57 -0700, Snit leapt from the
"bleak_fire_"
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
If you want to infect yourself with DRM or other Potentially Unwanted
Programs, install it yourself. Don't put a kill switch into every Web
site around the world.
Same with images and videos then, too, I suppose - no more browsers
handling that?
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse issues
if you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in every
picture and video.
What is your better solution? Flash? What? I am open to listening.
I already told you. If you want to infect yourself with DRM via PUPs like
Flash and Silverlight, shoot up.

Snit
2014-05-15 09:05:57 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
If you want to infect yourself with DRM or other Potentially Unwanted
Programs, install it yourself. Don't put a kill switch into every Web
site around the world.
Same with images and videos then, too, I suppose - no more browsers
handling that?
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse issues
if you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in every
picture and video.
What is your better solution? Flash? What? I am open to listening.
I already told you. If you want to infect yourself with DRM via PUPs like
Flash and Silverlight, shoot up.
So Flash or Silverlight. And you think this is bad? Um, how?

In the end you have no real solution. You do not like DRM... so what? Why
not work to make these proprietary solutions redundant and unnecessary? Are
you really in love with the idea of helping Adobe (mostly) and Microsoft (a
bit)?
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 19:19:28 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 02:05:57 -0700, Snit leapt from the
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
DRM is proprietary.

Snit
2014-05-16 00:10:15 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse
issues if you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in
every picture and video.
What is your better solution? Flash? What? I am open to listening.
I already told you. If you want to infect yourself with DRM via PUPs
like Flash and Silverlight, shoot up.
So Flash or Silverlight. And you think this is bad? Um, how?
In the end you have no real solution. You do not like DRM... so what?
Why not work to make these proprietary solutions redundant and
unnecessary? Are you really in love with the idea of helping Adobe
(mostly) and Microsoft (a bit)?
DRM is proprietary.
First, what is being added is EME, not DRM. And ERM does allow for the use
of DRM without the use of Flash or Silverlight. Here, this might help you to
understand it better: <http://ars.to/13KG31t>.
bleak_fire_
2014-05-16 00:34:20 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 17:10:15 -0700, Snit leapt from the
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Wow, you must be really sick in the head with control and abuse
issues if you believe browsers should put DRM and kill-switches in
every picture and video.
What is your better solution? Flash? What? I am open to listening.
I already told you. If you want to infect yourself with DRM via PUPs
like Flash and Silverlight, shoot up.
So Flash or Silverlight. And you think this is bad? Um, how?
In the end you have no real solution. You do not like DRM... so what?
Why not work to make these proprietary solutions redundant and
unnecessary? Are you really in love with the idea of helping Adobe
(mostly) and Microsoft (a bit)?
DRM is proprietary.
First, what is being added is EME, not DRM. And ERM does allow for the
use of DRM without the use of Flash or Silverlight. Here, this might
help you to understand it better: <http://ars.to/13KG31t>.
DRM is proprietary, no matter who does it or how.
The inner nature (source code, trade secret, or anything else) of DRM
cannot legally be examined, published, or discussed without violating
federal copyright and trade secret laws. Thus it is impossible to have
"open DRM". Whether it be EME or a browser plugin, DRM is proprietary,
there is no "open DRM", as something which cannot be opened is not "open".

Snit
2014-05-16 00:43:58 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
In the end you have no real solution. You do not like DRM... so what?
Why not work to make these proprietary solutions redundant and
unnecessary? Are you really in love with the idea of helping Adobe
(mostly) and Microsoft (a bit)?
DRM is proprietary.
First, what is being added is EME, not DRM. And ERM does allow for the
use of DRM without the use of Flash or Silverlight. Here, this might
help you to understand it better: <http://ars.to/13KG31t>.
DRM is proprietary, no matter who does it or how.
EME is not, though. Nor is it DRM.
Post by bleak_fire_
The inner nature (source code, trade secret, or anything else) of DRM cannot
legally be examined, published, or discussed without violating federal
copyright and trade secret laws. Thus it is impossible to have "open DRM".
Whether it be EME or a browser plugin, DRM is proprietary, there is no "open
DRM", as something which cannot be opened is not "open".
First, I do not accept that the open source world cannot come up with a
capable DRM solution. I do not know much of the OpenIPMP project, but I
would assume it is not the only open source group looking into this.

But even if there are no open source solutions: so what?
bleak_fire_
2014-05-16 07:04:35 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 17:43:58 -0700, Snit leapt from the
"bleak_fire_"
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
The inner nature (source code, trade secret, or anything else) of DRM
cannot legally be examined, published, or discussed without violating
federal copyright and trade secret laws. Thus it is impossible to have
"open DRM". Whether it be EME or a browser plugin, DRM is proprietary,
there is no "open DRM", as something which cannot be opened is not "open".
First, I do not accept that the open source world cannot come up with a
capable DRM solution. I do not know much of the OpenIPMP project, but I
would assume it is not the only open source group looking into this.
But even if there are no open source solutions: so what?
You kept insisting that EME is "open-source DRM" vs the DRM of Flash and
Silverlight. It's pure Orwellian doublespeak to claim that a closed box
is open because another company's name is on it.

chrisv
2014-05-16 12:07:48 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
It's pure Orwellian doublespeak to claim that a closed box
is open because another company's name is on it.
You are arguing with some troll who actually argued that GNU/Linux was
actually less "open" than Windows. I forget the troll's "logic"
behind this...

Oh, and GNU/Linux users have "less choice" than Windows users, the
troll has claimed.

Oh, and speaking of "Orwellian doublespeak", the troll has claimed
that FOSS advocates are "against choice" because they are against the
"choice" of restricting choice (in the name of UI consistency, which
the troll loves to harp-about).

The troll is plonked, by many of us, because we "fear honesty". At
least, according to the troll that twists statements about advantages
of the command-line into being "against the GUI". (Really? Could
*anyone* really be "against the GUI"?)

Stunning, eh? I could go on, but I've talked about that troll too
much already. If the troll responds to this, just ignore it. I
guarantee that it will be *nothing* but a string of *lies*.
--
"Still, do you see your mistake in claiming that my noting Chris's
name calling of himself was *my* insult?" - "Snit"
Snit
2014-05-16 14:38:14 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Desktop Linux offers users *far* less choice than the competition, both
Windows (largely in terms of software choice) and OS X (in terms of software
choice - even if smaller than what Linux offers - but more so with system
services).

But most of your claims are just nonsense:
* Linux less open than Windows?
Huh? I bet you made this up.
* Being against choice because of not wanting to restrict choice.
What the hell does that even mean? I bet you made that up, too.
* Speaking well of the CLI shows being against the GUI?
Utter nonsense... another thing you likely made up.

As far as you and your herd being afraid of truth - of course you are. All
cults and cult-like groups shun knowledge and information which does not
back your nonsense. It is the nature of the beast.
Silver Slimer
2014-05-16 17:09:02 UTC
Post by chrisv
You are arguing with some troll who actually argued that GNU/Linux was
actually less "open" than Windows. I forget the troll's "logic"
behind this...
Oh, and GNU/Linux users have "less choice" than Windows users, the
troll has claimed.
I don't envision how GNU/Linux could ever offer less choice when it
comes to customization however it does indeed offer less choice when it
comes to the library of software available.
Post by chrisv
Oh, and speaking of "Orwellian doublespeak", the troll has claimed
that FOSS advocates are "against choice" because they are against the
"choice" of restricting choice (in the name of UI consistency, which
the troll loves to harp-about).
Making a single UI is not about choice but rather an effort to improve
the quality of the desktop environments available. As it is, the only DE
I can trust wholeheartedly is Unity. Neither KDE nor Gnome seem all too
reliable.
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
Snit
2014-05-17 00:51:26 UTC
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by chrisv
You are arguing with some troll who actually argued that GNU/Linux was
actually less "open" than Windows. I forget the troll's "logic"
behind this...
Oh, and GNU/Linux users have "less choice" than Windows users, the
troll has claimed.
I don't envision how GNU/Linux could ever offer less choice when it
comes to customization however it does indeed offer less choice when it
comes to the library of software available.
Less choice in software. Less choice in system services.
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by chrisv
Oh, and speaking of "Orwellian doublespeak", the troll has claimed
that FOSS advocates are "against choice" because they are against the
"choice" of restricting choice (in the name of UI consistency, which
the troll loves to harp-about).
Making a single UI is not about choice but rather an effort to improve
the quality of the desktop environments available. As it is, the only DE
I can trust wholeheartedly is Unity. Neither KDE nor Gnome seem all too
reliable.
And Unity is hardly great. Sure, you have choices of DE... and you can pick
aspects of each where they have something cool - but you are stuck with one
substandard solution or another. How is that better than having a fewer
number of clearly higher quality solutions?
Snit
2014-05-16 14:32:29 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
First, I do not accept that the open source world cannot come up with a
capable DRM solution. I do not know much of the OpenIPMP project, but I
would assume it is not the only open source group looking into this.
But even if there are no open source solutions: so what?
You kept insisting that EME is "open-source DRM"
No, I do not. EME is not DRM *at all*.
Post by bleak_fire_
vs the DRM of Flash and Silverlight. It's pure Orwellian doublespeak to claim
that a closed box is open because another company's name is on it.
Nobody is doing that.

You denied there are open source DRM solutions. You were wrong. With that
said I do not know how good the open source solutions are.

So the question becomes: do you prefer content owners use a closed-source
solution such as Flash or that they have more incentive to use open source
solutions such as OpenIPMP and other open source DRM solutions?

Personally I am happy to see open source be able to compete better. Why
would you not be?
Hadron
2014-05-16 15:05:48 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
vs the DRM of Flash and Silverlight. It's pure Orwellian doublespeak to claim
that a closed box is open because another company's name is on it.
Nobody is doing that.
You denied there are open source DRM solutions. You were wrong. With that
said I do not know how good the open source solutions are.
So the question becomes: do you prefer content owners use a closed-source
solution such as Flash or that they have more incentive to use open source
solutions such as OpenIPMP and other open source DRM solutions?
Personally I am happy to see open source be able to compete better. Why
would you not be?
Because open or closed source is not the freetard's issue. The issue is
it being harder for him to "own" things he *thinks* he has bought. e.g
to pirate a movie he may or may not have watched at the cinema.
--
"I have a BSEE.... Negative feedback has many benefits, but "maintaining stability" is not one of them. Just the opposite, in fact."
The turdv/chrisv idiot and his pretend BSEE degree.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
Snit
2014-05-16 15:14:01 UTC
Post by Hadron
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
vs the DRM of Flash and Silverlight. It's pure Orwellian doublespeak to claim
that a closed box is open because another company's name is on it.
Nobody is doing that.
You denied there are open source DRM solutions. You were wrong. With that
said I do not know how good the open source solutions are.
So the question becomes: do you prefer content owners use a closed-source
solution such as Flash or that they have more incentive to use open source
solutions such as OpenIPMP and other open source DRM solutions?
Personally I am happy to see open source be able to compete better. Why
would you not be?
Because open or closed source is not the freetard's issue. The issue is
it being harder for him to "own" things he *thinks* he has bought. e.g
to pirate a movie he may or may not have watched at the cinema.
Right: but he keeps getting very confused. Here are the facts... they are
not complex:

* EME is not DRM.
* There are open source DRM solutions.
* Property protected by DRM is harder to copy (on purpose!)
Silver Slimer
2014-05-16 00:57:33 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Snit
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
If Mozilla indeed goes the DRM route, tell yourself that it is
essentially meaningless as forks of the Mozilla browser will appear
excluding the offending content. Debian already uses IceWeasel whereas
the Trisquel GNU/Linux distribution uses ABrowser which is another
Mozilla without any kind of proprietary content. There's no reason to
believe that such browsers wouldn't be made available to users of
proprietary operating systems as well.

The very nature of free software is such that if a project ever chooses
what we consider to be the wrong path, we can easily set it straight
with our own version of that project.
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
Hadron
2014-05-15 06:26:08 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/driven-by-necessity-
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5 digital
rights management specification called Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed source
Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch from
their browsers.
Afraid you'll have to pay for things?
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 06:40:04 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 08:26:08 +0200, Hadron leapt from
Post by Hadron
Post by bleak_fire_
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5
digital rights management specification called Encrypted Media
Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed
source Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch
from their browsers.
Afraid you'll have to pay for things?
If the opportunity presented itself, I would pay up to a few hundred
dollars to have a GUI browser free from the HTML5/EME kill switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre

Hadron
2014-05-15 06:47:06 UTC
Post by Hadron
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Up to a few hundred dollars?

In the same way a thief buys a skeleton key you mean.

We are talking about media that costs a lot of time and effort to
make. Why should they allow that to be stolen free of charge by you? Why
should you get unlimited views with one entrance ticket?

You sound like a thief and a freetard.
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 07:54:33 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 08:47:06 +0200, Hadron leapt from
Post by Hadron
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
It sounds like you are promoting the "if he's against it, he has
something to hide" mentality that empowers fascist regimes. Your desire
to put a kill switch into every Web site, in every browser, in every
computing device, in every home, is extremely dangerous.

Hadron
2014-05-15 08:02:05 UTC
Post by Hadron
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Like a have to say to every freetard occasionally : WTF are you talking
about?
Peter Köhlmann
As usual you understand basically nothing
chrisv
2014-05-15 12:03:44 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Hadron
Like a have to say to every freetard occasionally : WTF are you talking
about?
Because you're a simpleton and a shill for the corporate interests,
"Hadron".

Is it true, "Hadron", that the existence of Free GNU/Linux makes it
impossible for Microsoft to have a monopoly? If GNU/Linux did not
exist, would the existence of FreeBSD make it impossible for Microsoft
to have a monopoly?

Do you think, just maybe, "Hadron", that the legal definition of
"monopoly" may have more to do with an unhealthy amount of control of
a market, and not require an absolute *absence* of alternatives?

Yeah, you're a "smart one", "Hadron".
Post by Peter Köhlmann
As usual you understand basically nothing
It's not "Hadron's" job to understand. His job is to attack any
opponent of his corporate masters, all while claiming to "use and love
Linux".
--
"How can someone have a monopoly when there is a FREE competitor
freely downloadable and easier to install?" - "True Linux advocate"
Hadron Quark
Chris Ahlstrom
2014-05-15 09:57:04 UTC
Post by Hadron
You sound like a thief and a freetard.
It sounds like you are promoting the "if he's against it, he has
something to hide" mentality that empowers fascist regimes.
That's "Hadron", all right.
http://www.fsf.org/
--
Individuality

My words are easy to understand
And my actions are easy to perform
Yet no other can understand or perform them.
My words have meaning; my actions have reason;
Yet these cannot be known and I cannot be known.
We are each unique, and therefore valuable;
Though the sage wears coarse clothes, his heart is jade.
-- Lao Tse, "Tao Te Ching"
Silver Slimer
2014-05-15 13:06:14 UTC
Post by Hadron
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
Isn't midori one such browser? How about Web under Gnome?
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
Silver Slimer
2014-05-15 12:58:17 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/driven-by-necessity-
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5 digital
rights management specification called Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed source
Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch from
their browsers.
In one way it's a good thing because it ensures that people who refuse
to install Flash won't be left out of the pack when it comes to
purchasing digital content. On the other hand, it's also awful because
it legitimizes the idea of pushing digital rights management down the
consumers' throats. I have to admit that DRM has been nothing more than
a nightmare for me and I try to avoid it at all costs.
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 19:21:36 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 08:58:17 -0400, Silver Slimer leapt
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
DRM is always proprietary. If it were open you would voluntarily follow
it.

Snit
bleak_fire_
2014-05-16 07:06:52 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 17:50:58 -0700, Snit leapt from the
"bleak_fire_"
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Silver Slimer
In one way it's a good thing because it ensures that people who refuse
to install Flash won't be left out of the pack when it comes to
purchasing digital content. On the other hand, it's also awful because
it legitimizes the idea of pushing digital rights management down the
consumers' throats. I have to admit that DRM has been nothing more
than a nightmare for me and I try to avoid it at all costs.
DRM is always proprietary. If it were open you would voluntarily follow
it.
There are open source DRM solutions.
That's classic Orwellian absurdity right there. Just because the label
says "W3C" instead of "Flash" does not make a locked box "open".

Chris Ahlstrom
2014-05-16 11:33:33 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Silver Slimer
In one way it's a good thing because it ensures that people who refuse
to install Flash won't be left out of the pack when it comes to
purchasing digital content. On the other hand, it's also awful because
it legitimizes the idea of pushing digital rights management down the
consumers' throats. I have to admit that DRM has been nothing more
than a nightmare for me and I try to avoid it at all costs.
DRM is always proprietary. If it were open you would voluntarily follow
it.
There are open source DRM solutions.
That's classic Orwellian absurdity right there. Just because the label
says "W3C" instead of "Flash" does not make a locked box "open".
The implementation being open doesn't mean the box cannot be closed.

Just as visible source code doesn't make a program insecure.
Just as visible source code doesn't make encryption easier to break.
--
Alas, how love can trifle with itself!
-- William Shakespeare, "The Two Gentlemen of Verona"
GreyCloud
2014-05-16 17:09:00 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Silver Slimer
[...]
Correct, like OpenVMS is no more open than Windows.
--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks
to the Internet, we know this is not true -- Robert Wilensky, 1997
Snit
2014-05-16 14:33:16 UTC
Post by bleak_fire_
Post by Silver Slimer
In one way it's a good thing because it ensures that people who refuse
to install Flash won't be left out of the pack when it comes to
purchasing digital content. On the other hand, it's also awful because
it legitimizes the idea of pushing digital rights management down the
consumers' throats. I have to admit that DRM has been nothing more
than a nightmare for me and I try to avoid it at all costs.
DRM is always proprietary. If it were open you would voluntarily follow
it.
There are open source DRM solutions.
That's classic Orwellian absurdity right there. Just because the label
says "W3C" instead of "Flash" does not make a locked box "open".
You insisted all DRM solutions are closed, like Flash. This is not true:
there *are* open source solutions (though EME is not one of them given how
it is not DRM *at all*).

What is so hard about this to understand?
Snit
2014-05-16 00:20:32 UTC
Post by Silver Slimer
Post by bleak_fire_
[...]
I choose to not use DRM on the DVDs I sell - but if I wanted to protect my
property with it that would be my right. To not be dependant on Flash would
be great.
bleak_fire_
2014-05-15 21:04:08 UTC
on the great fire of Thu, 15 May 2014 03:18:35 +0000, bleak_fire_ leapt
Post by bleak_fire_
mozilla-to-enable-html5-drm-in-firefox/
"Mozilla announced today that it will follow the lead of Microsoft,
Google, and Apple and implement support for the contentious HTML5
digital rights management specification called Encrypted Media
Extensions (EME).
The organization is partnering with Adobe to make the change. Mozilla
will provide the hooks and APIs in Firefox to enable Web content to
manipulate DRM-protected content, and Adobe will provide a closed source
Content Decryption Module (CDM) to handle the decryption needs."
Necessity my ass. I pray to God the Debian versions and underdeveloped
GNU version guts out the all-site no-counternotice video kill switch
from their browsers.
I received this in an activism e-mail from the FSF:

"* **Use a version of Firefox without the EME code**: Since its source
code is available under a license allowing anyone to modify and
redistribute it under a different name, we expect versions without
EME to be made available, and you should use those instead. We will
list them in the [Free Software Directory][7]."